Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Way of the Righteous (Psalm 1)

Psalm 1

The Two Ways
1 How happy is the man who does not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path of sinners, or join a group of mockers!
2 Instead, his delight is in the LORD's instruction, and he meditates on it day and night.
3 He is like a tree planted beside streams of water that bears its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.
4 The wicked are not like this; instead, they are like chaff that the wind blows away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not survive the judgment, and sinners will not be in the community of the righteous.
6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked leads to ruin.


In my Bible study today, the author talked about how God's prohibitions are not a way of denying us happiness, but a way of keeping us from evil. I have felt this way for a while now and am glad to know that I am not the only one. I have learned (far too often from making mistakes) that God's "rules" aren't in place to deny us a full life. He wishes for us to prosper and have abundant life. He sets guidelines for us to follow so that we won't get sucked into an empty, unfulfilling lifestyle. Why are we, as humans, so willing to look to self help books, doctors, and Oprah to tell us what we should do to change our lives and be happy? Why don't we turn to our Creator, Father, and Savior? Who cares more for us and is more likely to have our best interest at heart than the God who gave us life?

Father,

Thank you for your Word. Thank you for setting limits and revealing to us how we should live. Thank you for loving us enough to care how we live and for guiding us to live lives that are full and joyful. Continue to work in my life and refine my walk with you. I want to be a more mature Christian, Lord, and I know that I can't accomplish this of my own accord. Remind me each day to spend time with You and reading Your word. I want to avoid the circumstances in the first verse of the Psalms and instead follow Your teachings, walk in Your way, and worship with fellow believers.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment